25 Jan, 2015 The Top 5 Smartphone Safety Apps for Families
Many kids now have smartphones. How do we keep them safe while using these devices? Here are the top 5 smartphone safety apps to download now.
So a tween was over last week and casually mentioned she knew a Kindergartener who brought his iPhone 6 to school. Whaaaaat? I don’t have an iPhone 6 and there’s a kid (who still has his baby teeth) who’s got an iPhone 6?
The questions that immediately popped into my head were:
- Who did this kid steal it from?
- What the heck were his parents thinking?
- If he did legally receive an iPhone from someone does he know how to stay safe on it?
For those parents who believe their child is responsible enough to have a smartphone, you can protect them from the bad guys and set boundaries by adding these 5 phenomenal apps to both of your phones.
- K9 Web Protection Browser – This is the #1 free parental control and internet filter. It replaces all other search engines and keeps your kids safe while browsing the net. Another huge + is that it prevents anyone from uninstalling the app (iOS or Android)
- Ignore No More (INM) – This app allows the parent to remotely lock their child’s phone if they are ignoring your calls and/or texts. The only other number they can call is 911 or other emergency contacts you listed in the INM settings. This app was created by a mom who’s son repeatedly ignored her calls. Not anymore!
- Smart Limits – Through this app, you can limit the phone’s use during certain hours and/or have only your number accessible (ie: when child is in school). In addition, every month you get a list of all calls made from the phone and you are given updates on new numbers called. Daily phone activity is accessible along with blocking numbers and checking data use. It also gives you the capability to set text and purchase limits. This is offered through AT&T, but other providers should have something similar.
- MamaBear – This app fits it’s name. It tells you where your child is, who they are with and what they are saying on social media networks. In addition, if bullying or foul language occurs you will be notified along with if they are speeding (either at the wheel or as a passenger).
- Bark App – Not only protects kids when using apps and the internet on their phones but also monitors texts. Read more about the app here.
All of these apps provide a level of accountability as well as protection from bullying and predators around us. A win-win for everyone. Keep an eye on Comparitech for their updated reviews of parental control software and apps.
Oh yea, there’s one last option. I guess you could always skip the smartphone and get the fully functional flip phone. If your teen throws a fit, just tell them about the old landline version with the 8 foot cord you got when you turned 16.
Question: What other smartphone apps do you love using that protects your family? You can leave a comment by clicking here.